November 23, 2015
A quote is the act of repeating someone else’s statement or thought and giving credit to the author. Most of us have done it, and are familiar with the concept. We may even have a few of our favorites, ready for use at the right time. Why do you suppose we are we so fond of them—particularly the good ones? Is it because they tend to inspire and motivate us with their insights about human nature? I believe it is.
I also believe that on a deeper level, our fondness for certain sayings stems from our innate understanding of the power of words themselves and our appreciation for the magnificent accomplishment that is human communication. Whatever the reason, arranging words into sentences that bring good, constructive thinking and wisdom to life transcends power and enters the realm of mightiness and timelessness. If thoughts are the building blocks of reality, the words we choose to express them are the glue that holds the structures together.
Ask a person to recite his or her favorite quote. Their response will tell you a lot about what makes them tick, what they need to remember in order to continue ticking or perhaps what they would like for you to remember and consider as you get on with your ticking. Who we quote, and why we select a particular quote in a certain situation, is revealing. So, what are some of your favorite quotes and why are they your favorite? Think about it. While you are doing that, I will address some overachievers among us, who are probably wondering what it takes to become quotable—preferring to be quoted rather than to quote others. My humble answer to that question is: Live well, think deeply, experience widely and then freely share your thoughts. In time, you will know if you got it right. Put better:
“If you were not to be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing.” Benjamin Franklin
Here are twelve more of my favorite quotes:
1) “You always have a choice.” – Harvey Specter
2) “A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 wasted 30 years of his life.” – Muhammad Ali
3) “If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary” – Jim Rohn
4) “God and Nature first made us what we are, and then out of our own created genius we make ourselves what we want to be. Follow always that great law. Let the sky and God be our limit and Eternity our measurement.” – Marcus Garvey
5) “If winning isn’t everything why do they keep score?” – Vince Lombardi
6) “Why can’t I just eat my waffle?” – Barack Obama
7) “Formal education will make you a living. Self education will make you a fortune.” – Jim Rohn
8) “Have I played the part well? Then applaud as I exit.” – Caesar Augustus
9) “Don’t raise your voice, improve your argument.” – Anonymous
10) “If you have no critics you likely will have no success.” – Malcolm X
11) “Our rewards in life are in direct proportion to our contribution…our service.” – Earl Nightingale
12) “Our life is what our thoughts make it.” – Marcus Aurelius
Find out more about Sigmon Law and our approach to service and results here.